Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Texas holdem... the game of choice

Ok, so I've been playing Texas holdem now for about 2 years. It's funny, I don't even have a clue how I used to play back when I started or what went through my head to make decisions. It's almost as if I played in the dark. My eyes have been made wide open from the books I have read (I'll expand on that topic in another blog later) and the experience playing both online and live games. I've played anything from 5cent/10cent live cash games up to $1/$2 both live and internet play. As far as "fun" goes, live games get you the social aspect missing from internet play, and let's face it, humans are social creatures. As far as "action" goes, internet play blows live play out of the water. I play anywhere from 1 to 5 tables and get tons more hands to play over a live game. I once brought up jokingly at a home game that we should have a couple tables close to each other so I could play 2 tables at the same time.

Is this a game of skill? Sure is... but your skill compared to that of your opponents is what really counts. I've heard and read actually quite a few times from various people something along the lines of, "I can't play against morons, they don't respect my raises" or "I think I'll do much better when I move up limits and can play better opponents". This is utter total trash nonsense. You make your money off of opponents mistakes. Who is going to make more mistakes, a donktastic (yes I made that word up) fish or a seasoned veteran? Here is the truth though... because more players see flops and stay in longer at the lower limits your swings up and down will be much bigger. That is, you'll get sucked out on more but you should also win bigger pots to compensate.

In order to "beat" the fish, you must change your strategy to compensate. Here are some examples and how to change your strategy based on your opponents' tendencies.

1) Identify who the calling stations are -- don't bluff against these people! Value bet Value bet VALUE BET! I love value betting top pair with a crap kicker or even middle pair sometimes If I read the opponent as someone who calls down with bottom pair. And here is probably the number 1 strategy to padding your bankroll at lower limits... find the players who will call overpot size bets with crap like top pair (that is they don't seem to recognize how big the pot is verses the size of the bet) and go all in on the river when you have the nuts. In a lot of instances I have had a pot of like $10 on the river with $100 left to bet. I hit my nut flush on the river and go all in for $100, and the fish calls me with top pair!

2) Identify who the "live" ones are -- you'll find some crazy maniacs at all limits. They love to bet and raise and get out of line so often, it's easy to tell who they are. First off, try to play in position with them. It takes away a lot of their power. Second, don't play mediocre hands after the flop against them unless you are especially skilled. You want to hit something that you can say to yourself, "I'll go to the felt with this hand if I have to". This is usually something like two pair or a set and maybe sometimes top pair if the board is right. Then you string them along as they make huge bets and pop them when the time is right (either the river if the board isn't too draw heavy or before then if you think he may have a decent draw to beat you).

3) Identify who the "tight" ones are -- Mr Tighty limps into a pot maybe one out of ten hands. He plays so tight some of his chips have dust on them. Don't give this guy action! I usually take a small stab at the pot. He'll fold to almost any bet if he has shakey prospects, so why make a big bet? If he bets or raises, run the hell away unless you have a great hand yourself. And if you do happen to have the nuts, it's a good chance to get his stack cause you know he has a good hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home