Sunday, July 15, 2007

Life outside of poker

After choosing this new career path, I decided I needed something outside of poker to focus on as well. Maybe I could become a better poker player quicker and move up the ranks faster if I was 100% poker, but I also think it creates a high risk for "burnout". If I have poker and only poker, what do I do when I need to get away from poker? (like if I go on a bad run and need time to psychologically and mentally recuperate) I wanted something to help keep me in shape and something that I have a passion for similar to poker. That something turned out to be Mixed Martial Arts. Most of you should have heard of The Ultimate Fighting Championship and maybe have even watched a few of them. Basically two men enter a cage and try to beat the crap out of each other till someone is knocked out or gives up. I know at first it may sound brutal but there are plenty of safety precautions in place to keep this a civilized sport. I don't have plans to step in the cage anytime soon, but I will be training with hopes of competition somewhere down the line. I am training Gracie Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai Kickboxing and took my first Power Yoga class this week. Yoga may sound a little "woosie" but it can make a grown man cry. There is a Jiu Jitsu tournament coming up in Septemer in Las Vegas called Naga that I will be competing in for the first time as a white belt. I'll return to some poker stories in my next post. Thanks for reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home