Saturday, September 09, 2006

The Number 1 Rule of Poker

I'm gonna tell you what shouldn't be a big secret but a lot of people seem to forget it. It was personally reinforced to me after reading it in Roy West's 7 Card Stud book.

"If you arent playing happy, don't play"

What's the point of playing while pissed off or sad or angry or revengefull? Any emotion at the poker table can negatively affect your game. Even winning a big hand or being up for a session can make you different poker but usually not as bad as a negative emotion tilt.

You need to be able to control your emotions and watch yourself to decide if they are affecting your game play. If you lose a big pot (especially from a suckout or badbeat), learn to let it go. Maybe even step away from the table a bit to cool off and collect yourself.

I've been slacking some on these blogs because in most of my free time I am focussed on playing and studying poker... oh and my brother just had a baby girl :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home