Friday, November 02, 2007

Decent showing at NAGA

My first Jiu Jitsu didn't go exactly as hoped. I ended up finishing a respectable 3rd out of the 10 competitors in my division. I was pretty confident going in, but I found out that I'm really not in the kinda shape I need to be to succeed with multiple successive matches. I destroyed my first opponent 15-2 but after four minutes of all out aggression I found myself really gassed. The 2nd match started about 10 minutes after the first and because I was still so tired, I was psychologically drained as well. My opponent got my back within about the first 20 seconds which is never a good sign. I defended the multiple attacks he threw at me pretty well and was happy not to tap out, but I did lose 4-0. In the third match, I was taken down and held full guard for the first few minutes and couldn't pull off any sweeps. Finally I just let guard go and managed a reversal. I was down by 4 points with only 30 seconds left and I knew that I had to get submission to win. At this point I was in side control. I got to full mount and used a kimura as a bate to get an arm to attempt an arm bar. His right arm freed up and I switched to spider guard and used all my might to get a submission.

Grappler's Quest is exactly a month from today and I will have high hopes for that tournament as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home